Choosing the perfect wedding shoes is an essential yet often overlooked aspect of the wedding planning process. With countless styles and designs available, finding the ideal pair to complement your dream wedding dress and suit your personal taste can be quite a challenge.
In this article, we will guide you through some critical factors to consider when making your decision, ensuring that your wedding day is as magical and memorable as you’ve always imagined.
The first consideration when selecting your wedding shoes is comfort. After all, you’ll likely be on your feet for the majority of your special day, from walking down the aisle to dancing the night away. Opt for shoes that fit well and offer both support and cushioning, so you can focus on making cherished memories rather than dealing with sore feet.
Style and design are equally important in your choice of wedding shoes. Consider the overall aesthetic of your wedding, as well as the style of your dress, to narrow down the options. From glamorous heels to elegant flats and everything in between, there’s a perfect pair for every bride. Remember, it’s essential to balance practicality with aesthetics, ensuring that you look and feel your best on your big day.
Consider Your Wedding Style
Theme and Venue
When choosing your wedding shoes, it’s essential to consider the theme and venue of your big day. For a beach wedding, opt for flat sandals or wedges, as heels will sink into the sand. For a glamorous, black-tie affair, elegant stilettos or sophisticated high heels would be suitable.
- Beach wedding: Flat sandals or wedges
- Black-tie affair: Elegant stilettos or sophisticated high heels
Bridal Gown and Accessories
It is crucial to consider your bridal gown and accessories when selecting your wedding shoes. Ensure that the colour and style of your shoes complement your dress and other accessories.
To make this easier, break down compatibility into three categories:
- ColourMatch your shoes to the shade of your gown. You might also like to experiment with metallic hues or soft neutrals for a striking contrast.
- StyleKeep your shoes in line with the dress’s overall style. For example, a sleek, modern gown pairs well with minimalistic stilettos, whereas a vintage-style dress would suit embellished or lace heels.
- HeightThe shoe’s heel height can impact the gown’s fit, so take your ideal heel height into account when sizing your wedding dress. A short dress will require a higher heel to create the illusion of longer legs, while a long gown may need a lower heel to avoid appearing too long.
- Consider the theme and venue when selecting shoes
- Match colour and style with your bridal gown and accessories
- Choose the appropriate heel height for your dress
Foot Shape and Size
To ensure comfort and prevent any discomfort on your wedding day, it’s essential to consider your foot shape and size when choosing your wedding shoes. Measure both the length and width of your feet, and try on various styles and brands to find the perfect fit. Keep in mind that comfort is the top priority, so don’t hesitate to try on multiple pairs until you find one that’s both stylish and comfortable.
Heel Height and Type
Heel height and type play a significant role in determining the comfort level of your wedding shoes. Consider the following factors:
- Your experience wearing heels: If you’re not accustomed to wearing high heels, opt for a lower heel or even consider a comfortable flat or wedge for stability.
- The wedding venue: Consider the terrain and walking distances. For outdoor weddings on grass or sandy surfaces, avoid stilettos as they can sink into the ground.
|Stiletto||High, slim heel; may be uncomfortable for long wear|
|Block||Wider, more stable heel; suitable for most venues|
|Wedge||Solid, comfortable option; works well for outdoors|
|Kitten||Low, delicate heel; a comfortable option for dancing|
In conclusion, prioritising comfort when choosing your wedding shoes involves understanding your foot shape and size, as well as selecting the appropriate heel height and type. Spend time trying on multiple shoes to find the perfect fit for your big day.
Choose the Appropriate Material
Season and Weather
When choosing your wedding shoes, it is important to consider the season and weather on your big day. Different materials are suited for different weather conditions. For instance, satin or silk shoes are ideal for spring or summer weddings, while leather or suede might be more comfortable for autumn or winter weddings. Let’s have a look at some materials suitable for different seasons:
Quality and Durability
The quality and durability of the material you choose for your wedding shoes can affect both their comfort and their appearance. High-quality materials not only look better but will also last longer, ensuring your shoes remain comfortable throughout your wedding day and can even be worn beyond the event. Here are some considerations for each material:
- Satin or silk: These materials have a delicate and elegant appearance and are suitable for dressy occasions. They can be less durable, though, so choose shoes with a reinforced toe or heel if you plan to dance or walk on uneven surfaces.
- Leather: Leather shoes offer excellent durability and support, making them a great option for longer events or activities. They may be warmer than satin, so consider this factor depending on the season.
- Suede: Suede provides a soft, comfortable feel that is both stylish and durable. However, it can be more difficult to clean compared to other materials and may not be suitable if you expect wet or muddy conditions.
In conclusion, when selecting your wedding shoes, consider both the season and weather as well as the quality and durability of the material. By taking these factors into account, you can find the perfect shoes to complement your dress and ensure comfort throughout your special day.
Experiment with Colours and Embellishments
When choosing your wedding shoes, consider coordinating their colour with your dress, bouquet or wedding theme. It can add a touch of elegance and cohesiveness to your overall look. Some popular colours to consider include:
- Metallic shades (gold, silver, and rose gold)
Remember that your shoe colour doesn’t have to directly match your dress; instead, it can complement it for a harmonious appearance.
Embellishments on your wedding shoes can make a statement and elevate your ensemble. Some options to consider are:
- Lace details
Consider the style of your dress when selecting embellishments, as you want them to enhance, not detract from the overall look. For example, if your dress has intricate lace details, subtle lace appliques on your shoes can mirror the design nicely.
Lastly, personalising your wedding shoes can add a unique and special touch. Ideas for personalisation include:
- Monograms on the sole
- A charm or pendant representing your relationship
- A meaningful quotation inscribed on the inner lining
Always keep the theme and style of your wedding in mind when personalising your shoes, as you want it to seamlessly blend into the event.
Remember to experiment with a variety of colours, detailing, and personalisation options, to find the perfect pair of wedding shoes that reflect your personality and complement your special day.
Timing and Budget
When to Buy
It’s important to consider the timing when buying your wedding shoes. Ideally, you should start looking for your shoes around 3-4 months before your wedding date. This will give you enough time to find the perfect pair, order them in case they are not available in your size, and break them in before your big day.
Keep in mind that if you need to make any alterations to your dress, your shoes should be purchased before your first fitting as the heel height will affect the length of your dress.
Establish Your Budget
Before you start shopping, it’s essential to establish a budget for your wedding shoes. Consider how much you are willing to spend, and keep in mind that a reasonable budget will allow you to explore various options without overspending.
- Affordable: £50 – £100
- Mid-range: £100 – £200
- High-end: £200 and above
Having a clear budget in mind will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed by the many options available and help you stay focused on finding the perfect pair within your price range.
Remember, it’s important to strike a balance between style, comfort, and budget. Take your time browsing different styles and brands, and don’t be afraid to try on multiple pairs until you find the perfect wedding shoes for your special day.
Preserve and Reuse Your Wedding Shoes
After your special day, it’s essential to clean and store your wedding shoes properly. This will help preserve their appearance and ensure they are ready for use in the future.
- Gently remove dirt and stains with a soft cloth dampened with warm water and mild soap.
- Dry them carefully away from direct heat, as high temperatures could damage the shoe material.
- Use a soft brush to remove any remaining dirt, especially for shoes made of delicate materials like satin.
- Stuff the shoes with tissue paper to help them maintain their shape during storage.
- Store your wedding shoes in a cool, dry place, preferably in a box with a soft cloth or shoe bag.
Repurpose for Future Occasions
Your wedding shoes don’t have to sit on a shelf gathering dust. With a bit of creativity, you can repurpose them for future events or even everyday wear. Here are some ideas:
- Dye them: Many bridal shoes are made of dyeable materials like satin. Change their colour to match an outfit for a more versatile addition to your wardrobe.
- Accessorise: Add embellishments like shoe clips, bows or ribbons to give your wedding shoes a new look, perfect for parties or special occasions.
- Restyle: Take your shoes to a professional cobbler, who can help you transform them by altering their shape, height, or other aspects.
- Casual wear: Some wedding shoes are comfortable enough for everyday use, making them a lovely reminder of your special day. If they’re too extravagant for daily wear, consider wearing them on anniversaries or romantic outings.
By investing time in post-wedding care and repurposing, you can extend the life of your wedding shoes and enjoy them for years to come.